Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Decision Made

I just had a serious talk with hubby. After months and months of searching for answers on whether I will continue to take my NCLEX and pursue my career in the US, I finally had the answer now.

Let me share with you some reasons why I wanted to try our luck in the US. Personally, I wanted to pursue my career, I am fulfilled as a house mommy but I also wanted to experience the fulfillment of sharing something financially to our family and being a nurse there would mean having a better pay. I wanted to secure a better future for my princess and future kids, she/they'll have more opportunities there and we could always come back here in case things doesn't work well for us there.

We carefully thought of the HUGE adjustments that we will make in case we decided to try our luck in another country.

-No Household help, we will definitely have to share the household chores since I will no longer be a SAHM.

-It will be very hard for us to have the regular "dates" that we normally do here.

-I can't devote the same amount of time that I am giving them now simply because I'll be at work for 8 or 12 hours, and most probably it will mostly be at night.

-We might end up having to leave our li'l princess in a day care when our schedules will not meet.

Aside from the idea that special occasions will never be the same because we don't have relatives & friends to invite there, the last one is what really hits me. I can't imagine leaving my princess to a stranger, someone I don't know. I have nothing against day care, I know that I'll b fine when I get used to it, but it's just so hard for me to take the idea.

Now, if we stay here, hubby has a stable job. Stable enough that I can still afford to be a SAHM and I'm enjoying it coz I don't know if I can say the same when we decided to go have another child.

The decision? We will STAY HERE... I'm not sure if this is final but right now, we will definitely stay.

As to the fulfillment of my career, I can give that up if it means being able to spend each day with my princess and being able to attend to my family's needs. Right now, I'm thinking of venturing into a small business.

6 comments:

Josiet said...

Hiya. Me too a SAHM. Just like you I wanted to contribute financially to the family but at the moment it's not feasible. We are out of the country and I don't want to leave my 11 month old baby to someone I don't know.

Goodluck with your plans and business.

(found your blog at Pex)

feng said...

hay Mommy Len, based on your writings here, i can sense that you're half hearted still.

pursuing a career in nursing abroad is really tempting. my Mom was an RN too and she worked in the US for some years ago, leaving her very very convenient life as a Public Health Nurse for government schools for 25 years. though, she's earning much there, she decided to finally call it quits and return home, reuniting with the entire family, no regrets.

nakakapang-hinayang din talaga ang time and effort na iniexert mo for your review and the lucrative opportunities that awaits you abroad.

but on one hand, the calling of being a mother and a wife weighs enough for you to decide to prioritize them first.

and yes, a small business to keep your hands busy with is definitely a good option. who knows, baka with that venture, you'll discover your other potentials. :)

Christianne said...

I think you made the right decision Len, but why not finish your review and take the test? Ilang years valid ang results? You never know, things could change and it would be good insurance to have that certification under your belt :D

Mommy Len said...

ej's mom - thanks for visiting my blog. if i am in your shoes, i would be very hesitant also to leave my baby if she's only 11months old.

feng - yeah, i am one of those who got really tempted hehe. but then, when i think of the huge adjustments and the idea that most of the nights my daughter will be sleeping without me, all those temptations are easily replaced with hesitations. from the very start naman i told myself that we will not go if hubby is not 100% with the idea of migrating and leaving everything here, malaki na din ang hirap nya sa work nya and i can't be sure if he's career there would be as good as what he's having now.

happy din naman ako with the decision, i just have to think of a business to keep me busy din naman.

christianne - pinag iisipan ko pa din yan actually. i might decide on that when they offer NCLEX here in the Philippines, sayang din kasi air fare kung sa ibang bansa pa ko magbabayad and NCLEX alone will cost me $200 na, wala pa dun yung ibang fees.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Len, I'm getting goose bumps as I read that part of your final decision. Good for you, though it must be a very difficult decision to make. Like what I always tell my friends who plan on leaving - if you're okay in the Philippines financially, as in hindi naman kayo super-hirap, I hope you stay and rough it out here. The prospects of earning huge abroad is very tempting, but think about the other sacrifices and weigh the pros/coms. IMHO, the thought of raising a child in a country such as the US scares me.

Mommy Len said...

chats - yan din sinabi ng best friend ko who works in London since she was single, dun na sya nagka family and she said mas mahihirapan daw kami if we started a family here tapos dun biglang kami na lang talaga. Actually, one of my greatest fear din if we go to the US is the idea of raising my kid/s, especially girl pa naman sya. di naman ako nahirapan mag decide coz when i decided to have a family, i know i am ready to make sacrifices for the sake of my family, if not having a great career means being able to take care of my family all the time, then i'm ok with it. i just hope i'm really good at being a full time mom to my princess.