Thursday, June 7, 2007

Accidents do happen even in the most secured places...

I was going to bake pizza when something bad happened. I preheated the oven while I was preparing the pizza. When I checked on the oven, the flame was out so I tried turning it on again, little did I know that the flame was out longer that I expected, so when I introduce the flame, there, it exploded, it was due to the gas being contained inside without the flame. My feet got burned and the pain is severe. I did the first aid myself, I Submerged my feet on a cold water. I sent a message to hubby about the incident and he called right away, when he heard me crying he knew it was something serious coz he know I have a high tolerance when it comes to pain but this one is different, the pain is so intense that I just wanted to pass out for me not to feel any pain. On his way home I asked him to buy me Flammazine Cream, a burn ointment and some pain reliever. He insisted to bring me to the hospital but I said I'll be fine. Despite the pain reliever that I took, pain is not subsiding, the burning sensation is so intense that I kept on crying. I was observing it, checking for it's color & blisters and I thought it was just a first degree burn. At 11:00 o'clock in the evening I noticed the blisters started coming out so I decided to go to St. Lukes Hospital for proper wound management. Some part sustained a second degree burn. They gave me two shots of anti tetanus to prevent possible infection, cleaned the wound, applied Flammazine & put some dressing. The pain finally subsided but I still have to observe and hope that the wound will not get worse.

On the other hand, I still feel blessed that it was only my feet which sustained burn, it would have been much painful if my face and arms got burned as well. And most especially I am so thankful that my princess was in the living room when it happened.

Accidents happen and my passion for cooking will never go away but I swore not to use that oven again, last night, hubby bought me a small electric oven to make sure I will never use the gas range oven again. And when I say my passion for cooking will never go way, one proof was, last night I still cooked a special prawns & baked chicken for hubby despite the severe pain I was feeling (that's one way I can divert my attention for me not to focus on pain). He tried to stop me but I cooked it anyway. When my mom & sister came to check on me, sister said "ok ha, na burn ka na't lahat sarap pa din ng ulam nyo, hehe". See? I love cooking and nothing can stop me from doing it.

4 comments:

Christianne said...

Yikes ang sakit nga siguro noon! Sana wala nang infection or further complications. Looks like hubby knows you very well, bumili agad ng electric oven kasi alam niyang hindi mo matitiis na hindi magluto, hehe.

Hope you feel better soon Len.

Mommy Len said...

I suddenly forgot how painful it was when I was having my labor. Sana nga wala nang maging infection, that was the reason why I decided na din to go to the hospital, for the anti tetanus shot kasi open wound na yung blisters. Yeah, he knows he couldn't stop me talaga eh, hehe.

Chateau said...

Hi len! I hope okay ka na. Yan pa anaman ang pinaka painful type of burn (yung nasa epidermal layer where the nerve endings are.. hehe. fresh pan yan sa mind mo!)
naku, katakot naman! Buti the flames did not do more severe damage.
I have an oven but its electric. Besides, hindi talaga ako nababake hehe. Except roast chicken pala.
I did not know you love to cook. It's also one of my passions. It's good to know we share a common love :)
The worst kitchen accidents I've had are just minor cuts and burns. Keep on cooking but take care!

Mommy Len said...

hi chats! it's getting better each day. i just hope it will not leave me a scar. pero nakakapagtaka lang sa paa lang meron wala sa arm & face kaya sabi ko swerte pa din.