Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Fresh From The Wet Market


I woke up early today and went to the wet market near our place. This is unusual for me coz it has been almost 15years since the last time I went there. Since the supermarket has been a convenient place for shoppers (when they started offering seafoods & meat products), I have not visited a wet market. If I wanted some fresh seafoods, I'd ask a relative who regularly visits a wet market to buy some for me. But earlier today I decided I'd go there myself to try it once again. I was happy to see a few old faces, yup, amazingly they're still there, some of my suki way back then is still there selling the same thing. Although I doubt it if they still remember me. It's still the same place I used to go to but I noticed it's harder to ask for discounts now compared to before that a simple smile would make them give in to your desired price. I actually had fun coz I was able to buy lots of ingredients that you can never find in a supermarket, not to mention all the fresh seafoods & vegies they can offer. While I was there seeing a lot around me, I bought some things I don't actually plan of buying. When I saw the malagkit (Glutinous Rice), I thought of buying more ingredients so I can cook Ginataang Halo Halo (Mixture of Fruits cooked in Coconut milk). I was so excited, I cooked it as soon as I get home.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I also bought some ubod so I can make Fresh or Fried Lumpiang Ubod (Hearts of Palm Spring Roll) tomorrow. Can't wait to cook all the seafoods that I bought, Pink Salmon, Lapu Lapu, Milk fish & Lapu Lapu Fillet & Tiger Prawns! Yum-o!!!

When I got home, I smell like a fish! arggghh! It felt like I absorbed all the stinky odor from the market so I went straight to the bathroom.

4 comments:

Mommy Chi said...

hi fellow mommy,

got your link from PMN.

i actually loved going to the wet market when i was still in manila. my mom and i would wake up early in the morning just to be able to get fresh goods from our suki. my mom's so good at haggling with the vendors that we get to have extra from our budget all the time.

Mommy Len said...

hi mommy chi,

early morning is the best time to go to the wet market. i usually go there regulary during my high school days, my mom would always bring me with her too and like your mom she's good at haggling but when i went there the last time, it's so hard to ask for discounts. but the important thing is, i enjoyed it so much.

Chateau said...

Naku len, si hubby ang nagturo sa kin mamalengke! My helpers/parents when I bring them with me to the market are amazed how much sukis know me, hahaha! I usually go on Wednesday mornings after I bring the kdis to school. Weekends get crowded so I avoid that.
Have you ever been to the Lung Center Sunday market? I've never been there. Balita ko madami daw fresh seafood dun. EB tayo dun? LOL hahaha

Mommy Len said...

hi chats,

buti pa si hubby mo marunong mamalengke and buti ka pa regular pa ding nakakapunta sa wet market. i'll try to do it nga as much as i can kasi iba ang freshness dun ng seafoods & vegies compared sa supermarket and of course much cheaper talaga. sayo ko lang narinig yang Lung Center Sunday Market ha, pag pupunta ka let me know ha. ang na try ko na yung sa Salcedo park sa Makati, every sat & sun morning pero mostly fruits, vegies & some specialty products.