Saturday, June 23, 2007

My Own Household Help Blues

Unfortunately, I'm one of those who's having a hard time finding a "really" reliable household help. I am the type who is very lenient when it comes to handling them, I seldom and I mean seldom get mad if they did some thing wrong or broke something. Usually the only words that would came out of my mouth is " ano ba yan, mag ingat ka naman" (with a soft tone) and nothing else. My sister says maybe this is the reason why they're being so abusive.

I originally hired Juana to do the household chores, laundry, ironing of clothes, washing the dishes and cleaning the house which isn't a big one. When I saw that she knows how to take care of a child, I thought of her as a potential yaya. When I started my review, I decided to lessen Juana's load by asking someone else to do the laundry and ironing. So I made her a part time yaya (part time because she only look after my daughter when I'm not home)and the only workload that she has is cleaning the house. I can honestly say that she's lucky to have us as her employer coz aside from the fact that we're not strict, we provide all her personal needs (toothpaste, shampoo, soap & sometimes even lotion, etc.), we eat the same food, we bring her with us even if we're dining at an expensive restaurant and eats the same food that we eat. She had the chance to travel to different places, places that she has never been in her entire life. Her workload is lighter compared to the usual household help that I know. We allow her to watch a television. She doesn't cook. She only takes care of my daughter when I'm out and we never ask her to do other chores when she's looking after my daughter, not even when she's sleeping. We gave her a bonus last December (which we normally do) equivalent of her one month salary even if she's been with us for only four months during this time. But being the abusive or lazy that she is - she wakes up at 7:30-8:00 in the morning. The radio that i provided for her is turned on the moment she wakes up until bed time which by the way is not late. She sleeps every single afternoon. She doesn't have the initiative to do things that are expected of her, except for cleaning which is the only regular routine she does. There were several times when she watched something that ended up late and she didn't wash the dishes left in the sink, this I had to call her attention coz one thing that I hate to see is unclean dishes being left overnight. During the time that ironing is part of her job, I do the dishes at night coz I know she can't just wet her hands after it. There's actually more problems that I encounter with her. Now, if you'll ask me why I'm not yet looking for replacement, it's because my only consolation with her is that she knows how to take care of a child. I don't actually leave my daughter alone with her, there's always a relative present when I'm out because I can't trust her enough knowing that she has this hobby of sleeping in the afternoon. I am also not so sure if she's saying bad things in front of my daughter which she might be able to remember and later on comes out of her mouth. Added to the fact that I can't be so sure if she wouldn't hurt my princess if she became hard to handle.

I'm planning to have a heart to heart talk with her, hopefully I can make her realize that she's lucky enough to be with us compared to those household help who are being physically & verbally abused. I hope she'll get into her senses coz if not, I'll have no other choice but to let her go even if it means undergoing another screening and training.

2 comments:

feng said...

Hay, that's the dilemma with us being so "humanitarian" to them that these Yayas/Househelps tend to abuse us so much. waking up late in the morning is one habit too that I don't like about kasambahays. ganyan din ang Yaya ng anak ko, after I've prepared everything in the morning (eg. my son's bfast, baon, clothes etc), saka lang sya gigising when everything's OK na. when i asked her what made her woke up late, she'll often say maganda ang palabas sa TV kagabi or pinuyat sya ng ka text mate nya. hay. pero these things, pinapagpas ko na lang, coz like what you said, the more important consideration is she takes care of my son so well and isa pa, ang hirap to terminate her at once then go find a replacement and train her again with the basics. but you know, there comes a point na talagang feeling natin sobra na, esp. when trust and respect for the employers are at stake.

that's a good thing, talk to your Yaya heart to heart and tell her straight the things you expect her to do. if what you've both agreed were not put into practice, then, it must be an indication to terminate her services. goodluck, Mommy Len.

Mommy Len said...

Naku, ang hirap no? parang sila pa lagi nagmamalaki. Nung time na magbabakasyon tong kasama ko, she said she's not coming back. I didn;t stop her but we had a serious talk before pa sya umalis, natauhan daw sya sa mga sinabi ko kaya nakiusap na babalik daw sya. Yang text na yan din ang nagpapapuyat sa kasama ko dito, akala ko tulog na yun pala nakikipag text pa. Kung di lang talaga mahirap magpapalit palit no?